Data Center Incentives
Our tax incentives make it more attractive than ever to build data and network operation centers in Minnesota.
Qualifying projects receive sales tax exemptions for 20 years on:
- Computers and servers
- Cooling and energy equipment
- Energy use
And pay no personal property tax - ever.
Qualifying for the Incentives
Companies that build data or network operation centers of at least 30,000 square feet and invest $50 million in the first two years qualify for the tax break.
Distinct Operating Advantages
Come see what Fortune 500 companies and industry leaders like United Health Group, Thomson Reuters, and Target already know: Minnesota is the right choice for your data center.
Here are just a few key competitive advantages of locating in Minnesota:
- Cooler climate reduces cooling costs for equipment
- Low risk for earthquakes and other natural disasters
- Robust fiber-optic network
- Low-cost, abundant water supply and cost-competitive multiple energy sources
- Co-location opportunities with other corporate facilities
- Proximity to Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, named one of the best airports in North America
Minnesota has more than 87,000 people employed in computer and information systems, providing a tech-savvy workforce overflowing with the talent and expertise to meet the needs of any company.
And with an abundance of new computer- and information-science degrees awarded annually by our network of public and private colleges and universities, there's more top-notch talent pouring into the pipeline every year.
For More Information
Contact Jim Gromberg at 651-259-7436 or email Jim.Gromberg@state.mn.us
Download a Data Center Incentives Fact Sheet