How to Prepare for the Veterans Career Fair
To make the most of any job or career fair, it's best to begin preparing yourself, your resume, and your personal sales pitch well in advance of the event.
Success begins with a plan. Here are some handy preparation tips and a timeline that will help you be razor-sharp and ready on the day of the Veterans Career Fair.
Four Weeks Until The Veterans Career Fair
- Start identifying your skills and abilities. Need help getting started? Contact your local Minnesota WorkForce Center for assistance.
- Become familiar with companies that will be at the job fair.
Three Weeks Until The Veterans Career Fair
- Have a resume draft ready. Choose the resume style that best showcases you.
- Start working on your 30-second elevator speech.
Two Weeks Until The Veterans Career Fair
- Have at least two people proof your resume for typos and content.
- Finish your 30-second elevator speech.
- Practice your 30-second elevator speech with anyone that will listen.
One Week Until The Veterans Career Fair
- Print at least 25 copies of your resume on high quality paper, and have an electronic version available on a flash drive.
- Be prepared to talk to employers about your knowledge, skills and abilities
Twenty-Four Hours Before the Veterans Career Fair
- Have the necessary information ready - map or route to the Veterans Career Fair, copies of your resume in a folder, and anything else you might need.
- Have your clothing pressed and shoes shined.
- Get a good night of sleep.
For expert assistance as you prepare, contact your local Minnesota WorkForce Center by calling 1-888-GET JOBS.