DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
11-2011 Advertising and Promotions Managers
Occupational Description:Plan, direct, or coordinate advertising policies and programs or produce collateral materials, such as posters, contests, coupons, or give-aways, to create extra interest in the purchase of a product or service for a department, an entire organization, or on an account basis.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 3 - Arrowhead||N/A||N/A||$54.44/hr||$9.90/hr||$21.39/hr||$26.12/hr||$55.63/hr||>$80.00/hr||>$80.00/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School||170||$88,173/yr||N/A|
|Education Administrators, Postsecondary||160||$35.95/hr||N/A|
|Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products||110||$16.82/hr||N/A|
|Public Relations Specialists||100||$25.82/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Advertising and Promotions Managers
- Directs activities of workers engaged in developing and producing advertisements.
- Plans and executes advertising policies of organization.
- Plans and prepares advertising and promotional material.
- Formulates plans to extend business with established accounts and transacts business as agent for advertising accounts.
- Monitors and analyzes sales promotion results to determine cost effectiveness of promotion campaign.
- Supervises and trains service representatives.
- Consults publications to learn about conventions and social functions and organizes prospect files for promotional purposes.
- Directs product research and development.
- Adjusts broadcasting schedules due to program cancellation.
- Contacts organizations to explain services and facilities offered or to secure props, audio visual materials, and sound effects.
- Inspects premises of assigned stores for adequate security and compliance with safety codes and ordinances.
- Directs conversion of products from USA to foreign standards.
- Represents company at trade association meetings to promote products.
- Reads trade journals and professional literature to stay informed on trends, innovations, and changes that affect media planning.
- Confers with clients to provide marketing or technical advice.
- Coordinates activities of departments, such as sales, graphic arts, media, finance, and research.
- Confers with department heads and/or staff to discuss topics such as contracts, selection of advertising media, or product to be advertised.
- Inspects layouts and advertising copy and edits scripts, audio and video tapes, and other promotional material for adherence to specifications.