DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
11-3071 Transportation, Storage, and Distribution Managers
Occupational Description:Plan, direct, or coordinate transportation, storage, or distribution activities in accordance with organizational policies and applicable government laws or regulations. Includes logistics managers.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 5 - North Central||20||4||$30.77/hr||$2.31/hr||$24.21/hr||$25.57/hr||$27.84/hr||$30.34/hr||$49.17/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Office and Administrative Support Workers||480||$20.94/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Transportation and Material-Moving Machine and Vehicle Operators||80||$23.42/hr||N/A|
|Industrial Production Managers||80||$37.84/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand||60||$22.83/hr||N/A|
|Captains, Mates, and Pilots of Water Vessels||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Transportation, Storage, and Distribution Managers
- Directs and coordinates, through subordinates, activities of operations department to obtain use of equipment, facilities, and human resources.
- Participates in union contract negotiations and settlement of grievances.
- Negotiates and authorizes contracts with equipment and materials suppliers.
- Oversees procurement process, including research and testing of equipment, vendor contacts, and approval of requisitions.
- Inspects or oversees repairs and maintenance to equipment, vehicles, and facilities to enforce standards for safety, efficiency, cleanliness, and appearance.
- Acts as organization representative before commissions or regulatory bodies during hearings, such as to increase rates and change routes and schedules.
- Oversees workers assigning tariff classifications, and preparing billing according to mode of transportation and destination of shipment.
- Oversees process of investigation and response to customer or shipper complaints relating to operations department.
- Recommends or authorizes capital expenditures for acquisition of new equipment or property to increase efficiency and services of operations department.
- Enforces compliance of operations personnel with administrative policies, procedures, safety rules, and government regulations.
- Reviews transportation schedules, worker assignments and routes to ensure compliance with standards for personnel selection, safety, and union contract terms.
- Conducts investigations in cooperation with government agencies to determine causes of transportation accidents and to improve safety procedures.
- Prepares management recommendations, such as need for increasing fares, tariffs, or expansion or changes to existing schedules.
- Oversees activities relating to dispatching, routing, and tracking transportation vehicles, such as aircraft and railroad cars.
- Analyzes expenditures, and other financial reports to develop plans, policies, and budgets for increasing profits and improving services.
- Confers and cooperates with management and other in formulating and implementing administrative, operational and customer relations, policies and procedures.
- Establishes standard and emergency operating procedures for receiving, handling, storing, shipping, or salvaging products or materials.
- Examines products or materials to estimate quantities or weight and type of container required for storage or transport.
- Interacts with customers or shippers to solicit new business, answer questions about services offered or required, and investigate complaints.
- Prepares or directs preparation of correspondence, reports, and operations, maintenance, and safety manuals.
- Schedules air or surface pickup, delivery, or distribution of products or materials.
- Interviews, selects, and trains warehouse and supervisory personnel.
- Examines invoices and shipping manifests for conformity to tariff and customs regulations and contacts customs officials to effect release of shipments.
- Reviews invoices, work orders, consumption reports, and demand forecasts to estimate peak delivery periods and issue work assignments.
- Supervises the activities of worker engaged in receiving, storing, testing, and shipping products or materials.
- Inspects physical condition of warehouse and equipment and prepares work orders for testing, maintenance, or repair.
- Develops and implements plans for facility modification or expansion, such as equipment purchase or changes in space allocation or structural design.
- Negotiates contracts, settlements, and freight-handling agreements to resolve problems between foreign and domestic shippers.
- Plans, develops, and implements warehouse safety and security programs and activities.
- Confers with department heads to coordinate warehouse activities, such as production, sales, records control, and purchasing.