DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
13-2081 Tax Examiners, Collectors, and Revenue Agents
Occupational Description:Determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Accountants and Auditors||700||$26.86/hr||N/A|
|Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products||230||$24.12/hr||N/A|
|Appraisers and Assessors of Real Estate||40||$23.76/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Tax Examiners, Collectors, and Revenue Agents
- Examines and analyzes tax assets and liabilities to determine resolution of delinquent tax problems.
- Recommends criminal prosecutions and civil penalties.
- Serves as member of regional appeals board to reexamine unresolved issues in terms of relevant laws and regulations.
- Participates in informal appeals hearings on contested cases from other agents.
- Confers with taxpayer or representative to explain issues involved and applicability of pertinent tax laws and regulations.
- Directs service of legal documents, such as subpoenas, warrants, notices of assessment and garnishments.
- Conducts independent field audits and investigations of federal income tax returns to verify or amend tax liabilities.
- Examines selected tax returns to determine nature and extent of audits to be performed.
- Selects appropriate remedy, such as partial-payment agreement, offer of compromise, or seizure and sale of property.
- Secures taxpayer's agreement to discharge tax assessment or submits contested determination to other administrative or judicial conferees for appeals hearings.
- Analyzes accounting books and records to determine appropriateness of accounting methods employed and compliance with statutory provisions.
- Investigates legal instruments, other documents, financial transactions, operation methods, and industry practices to assess inclusiveness of accounting records and tax returns.