DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
13-2082 Tax Preparers
Occupational Description:Prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses. Excludes “Accountants and Auditors” (13-2011).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 4 - West Central||40||14||$16.71/hr||$1.52/hr||$12.25/hr||$13.37/hr||$15.22/hr||$20.56/hr||$22.62/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Loan Interviewers and Clerks||100||$14.34/hr||N/A|
|New Accounts Clerks||50||$14.20/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Tax Preparers
- Reviews financial records, such as income statements and documentation of expenditures to determine forms needed to prepare return.
- Consults tax law handbook or bulletins to determine procedure for preparation of atypical returns.
- Verifies totals on forms prepared by others to detect errors in arithmetic or procedure, as needed.
- Calculates form preparation fee according to complexity of return and amount of time required to prepare forms.
- Interviews client to obtain additional information on taxable income and deductible expenses and allowances.
- Computes taxes owed, using adding machine or personal computer, and completes entries on forms, following tax form instructions and tax tables.