DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
15-2031 Operations Research Analysts
Occupational Description:Formulate and apply mathematical modeling and other optimizing methods to develop and interpret information that assists management with decision making, policy formulation, or other managerial functions. May collect and analyze data and develop decision support software, service, or products. May develop and supply optimal time, cost, or logistics networks for program evaluation, review, or implementation.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Accountants and Auditors||700||$26.86/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Operations Research Analysts
- Analyzes problem in terms of management information and conceptualizes and defines problem.
- Prepares model of problem in form of one or several equations that relates constants and variables, restrictions, alternatives, conflicting objectives and their numerical parameters.
- Specifies manipulative or computational methods to be applied to model.
- Performs validation and testing of model to ensure adequacy, or determines need for reformulation.
- Designs, conducts, and evaluates experimental operational models where insufficient data exists to formulate model.
- Evaluates implementation and effectiveness of research.
- Prepares for management reports defining problem, evaluation, and possible solution.
- Studies information and selects plan from competitive proposals that afford maximum probability of profit or effectiveness relating to cost or risk.
- Defines data requirements and gathers and validates information, applying judgment and statistical tests.
- Develops and applies time and cost networks to plan and control large projects.