DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
17-1021 Cartographers and Photogrammetrists
Occupational Description:Collect, analyze, and interpret geographic information provided by geodetic surveys, aerial photographs, and satellite data. Research, study, and prepare maps and other spatial data in digital or graphic form for legal, social, political, educational, and design purposes. May work with Geographic Information Systems (GIS). May design and evaluate algorithms, data structures, and user interfaces for GIS and mapping systems.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|Postal Service Mail Carriers||6,050||$26.79/hr||-12.2%|
|Bus Drivers, Transit and Intercity||3,030||$15.97/hr||7.7%|
|Mail Clerks and Mail Machine Operators, Except Postal Service||2,360||$13.18/hr||5.2%|
|Architectural and Civil Drafters||1,560||$23.13/hr||3.8%|
|Surveying and Mapping Technicians||660||$24.66/hr||7.5%|
Tasks for Cartographers and Photogrammetrists
- Prepares mosaic prints, contour maps, profile sheets, and related cartographic material applying mastery of photogrammetric techniques and principles.
- Determines and defines production specifications, such as projection, scale, size, and colors of map product.
- Identifies, scales, and orients geodetic points, elevations, and other planimetric or topographic features, applying standard math formulas.
- Studies legal records to establish boundaries of local, national and international properties.
- Develops design concept of map product.
- Analyzes survey data, source maps and photos, computer or automated mapping products, and other records to determine location and name of features.
- Travels over photographed area to observe, identify, record and verify all features shown and not shown in photograph.
- Determines guidelines for source material to be used, such as maps, automated mapping products, photographic survey data, and place names.
- Revises existing maps and charts and corrects maps in various stages of compilation.