DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
17-2141 Mechanical Engineers
Occupational Description:Perform engineering duties in planning and designing tools, engines, machines, and other mechanically functioning equipment. Oversee installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of equipment such as centralized heat, gas, water, and steam systems.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 10 - Southeast||290||39||$37.14/hr||$0.90/hr||$26.14/hr||$31.60/hr||$36.92/hr||$43.57/hr||$49.77/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Civil Engineering Technicians||170||$26.78/hr||N/A|
|Architectural and Civil Drafters||70||$22.75/hr||N/A|
|Electrical and Electronics Drafters||50||$26.19/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Mechanical Engineers
- Tests ability of machines to perform tasks.
- Develops models of alternate processing methods to test feasibility or new applications of system components, and recommends implementation of procedures.
- Confers with establishment personnel and engineers to implement operating procedures and resolve system malfunctions, and to provide technical information.
- Plans and directs engineering personnel in fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment, and develops procedures for testing products.
- Researches and analyzes data, such as customer design proposal, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application.
- Determines parts supply, maintenance tasks, safety procedures, and service schedule required to maintain machines and equipment in prescribed condition.
- Studies industrial processes to determine where and how application of equipment can be made.
- Designs products and systems to meet process requirements, applying knowledge of engineering principles.
- Specifies system components or directs modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Oversees installation to ensure machines and equipment are installed and functioning according to specifications.
- Coordinates building, fabrication, and installation of product design and operation, maintenance, and repair activities to utilize machines and equipment.
- Inspects, evaluates, and arranges field installations and recommends design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions.
- Investigates equipment failures and difficulties, diagnoses faulty operation, and makes recommendations to maintenance crew.
- Alters or modifies design to obtain specified functional and operational performance.
- Conducts experiments to test and analyze existing designs and equipment to obtain data on performance of product, and prepares reports.
- Assists drafter in developing structural design of product, using drafting tools or computer-assisted design/drafting equipment and software.
- Selects or designs tools to meet specifications, using manuals, drafting tools, computer, and specialized software programs.