DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
19-4031 Chemical Technicians
Occupational Description:Conduct chemical and physical laboratory tests to assist scientists in making qualitative and quantitative analyses of solids, liquids, and gaseous materials for research and development of new products or processes, quality control, maintenance of environmental standards, and other work involving experimental, theoretical, or practical application of chemistry and related sciences.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Agricultural and Food Science Technicians||70||$17.94/hr||N/A|
|Environmental Science and Protection Technicians, Including Health||10||$21.86/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Chemical Technicians
- Tests and analyzes chemical and physical properties of liquids, solids, gases, radioactive and biological materials, and products such as perfumes.
- Prepares chemical solutions for products and processes, following standardized formulas or creates experimental formulas.
- Sets up and calibrates laboratory equipment and instruments used for testing, process control, product development, and research.
- Documents results of tests and analyses, and writes technical reports or prepares graphs and charts.
- Directs other workers in compounding and distilling chemicals.
- Reviews process paperwork for products to ensure compliance to standards and specifications.
- Cleans and sterilizes laboratory equipment.