DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
21-1011 Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors
Occupational Description:Counsel and advise individuals with alcohol, tobacco, drug, or other problems, such as gambling and eating disorders. May counsel individuals, families, or groups or engage in prevention programs. Excludes ôSocial Workers" (21-1021 through 21-1029), "Psychologists" (19-3031 through 19-3039), and "Mental Health Counselors" (21-1014) providing these services.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7W- Central||200||42||$25.29/hr||$1.31/hr||$16.98/hr||$19.80/hr||$24.70/hr||$29.32/hr||$35.85/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Social and Human Service Assistants||810||$13.53/hr||N/A|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||430||$25.90/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors
- Plans and conducts programs to prevent substance abuse or improve health and counseling services in community.
- Supervises and directs other workers providing services to client or patient.
- Refers patient, client, or family to community resources to assist in recovery from mental or physical illness.
- Modifies treatment plan to comply with changes in client's status.
- Monitors, evaluates, and records client progress according to measurable goals described in treatment and care plan.
- Formulates or coordinates program plan for treatment, care, and rehabilitation of client or patient, based on social work experience and knowledge.
- Interviews clients, reviews records, and confers with other professionals to evaluate mental or physical condition of client or patient.
- Counsels family members to assist in understanding, dealing with, and supporting client or patient.
- Counsels clients and patients, individually and in group sessions, to assist in overcoming dependencies, adjusting to life, and making changes.
- Intervenes as advocate for client or patient to resolve emergency problems in crisis situation.