DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
21-1092 Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists
Occupational Description:Provide social services to assist in rehabilitation of law offenders in custody or on probation or parole. Make recommendations for actions involving formulation of rehabilitation plan and treatment of offender, including conditional release and education and employment stipulations.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 5 - North Central||10||1||$26.34/hr||$0.78/hr||$19.83/hr||$21.82/hr||$26.10/hr||$31.14/hr||$34.35/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||130||$26.62/hr||N/A|
|Educational, Vocational, and School Counselors||100||N/A||N/A|
|Eligibility Interviewers, Government Programs||90||$18.34/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists
- Counsels offender and refers offender to social resources of community for assistance.
- Provides guidance to inmates or offenders, such as development of vocational and educational plans and available social services.
- Interviews offender or inmate to determine social progress, individual problems, needs, interests, and attitude.
- Conducts follow-up interview with offender or inmate to ascertain progress made.
- Reviews and evaluates legal and social history and progress of offender or inmate.
- Determines nature and extent of inmate's or offender's criminal record and current and prospective social problems.
- Conducts prehearing or presentencing investigations and testifies in court.
- Prepares and maintains case folder for each assigned inmate or offender.
- Develops and prepares informational packets of social agencies and assistance organizations and programs, for inmate or offender.
- Assists offender or inmate with matters concerning detainers, sentences in other jurisdictions, writs, and applications for social assistance.
- Makes recommendations concerning conditional release or institutionalization of offender or inmate.
- Confers with inmate's or offender's family to identify needs and problems, and to ensure that family and business are attended to.
- Informs offender or inmate of requirements of conditional release, such as office visits, restitution payments, or educational and employment stipulations.
- Consults with attorneys, judges, and institution personnel to evaluate inmate's social progress.
- Formulates rehabilitation plan for each assigned offender or inmate.