DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
25-1191 Graduate Teaching Assistants
Occupational Description:Assist faculty or other instructional staff in postsecondary institutions by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate teaching assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed. Excludes “Teacher Assistants” (25-9041).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Vocational Education Teachers, Postsecondary||160||$27.59/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Graduate Teaching Assistants
- Develops teaching materials, such as syllabi and visual aids.
- Assists faculty member or staff with student conferences.
- Teaches lower-level courses.
- Assists library staff in maintaining library collection.
- Assists faculty member or staff with laboratory or field research.
- Prepares and gives examinations.
- Grades examinations and papers.