DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
25-2031 Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Vocational Education
Occupational Description:Teach students in one or more subjects, such as English, mathematics, or social studies at the secondary level in public or private schools. May be designated according to subject matter specialty. Substitute teachers are included in "Teachers and Instructors, All Other" (25-3099). Excludes "Career/Technical Education Teachers, Secondary School" (25-2032) and "Special Education Teachers" (25-2050).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 10 - Southeast||1,980||226||$55,354/yr||$1,915/yr||$34,379/yr||$42,058/yr||$53,912/yr||$65,610/yr||$77,335/yr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education||2,970||$48,900/yr||N/A|
|Vocational Education Teachers, Postsecondary||160||$27.59/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Vocational Education
- Instructs students, using various teaching methods, such as lecture and demonstration.
- Performs advisory duties, such as sponsoring student organizations or clubs, helping students select courses, and counseling students with problems.
- Keeps attendance records.
- Selects, stores, orders, issues, and inventories classroom equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Participates in faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops.
- Prepares course outlines and objectives according to curriculum guidelines or state and local requirements.
- Uses audiovisual aids and other materials to supplement presentations.
- Evaluates, records, and reports student progress.
- Maintains discipline in classroom.
- Confers with students, parents, and school counselors to resolve behavioral and academic problems.
- Develops and administers tests.
- Assigns lessons and corrects homework.