DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
27-1021 Commercial and Industrial Designers
Occupational Description:Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7W- Central||60||14||$24.38/hr||$1.35/hr||$17.12/hr||$20.17/hr||$22.83/hr||$26.97/hr||$32.96/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Architectural and Civil Drafters||50||$23.27/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Commercial and Industrial Designers
- Confers with engineering, marketing, production, or sales department, or customer to establish design concepts for manufactured products.
- Prepares detailed drawings, illustrations, artwork, or blueprints, using drawing instruments or paints and brushes.
- Integrates findings and concepts and sketches design ideas.
- Designs packaging and containers for products, such as foods, beverages, toiletries, or medicines.
- Creates and designs graphic material for use as ornamentation, illustration, or advertising on manufactured materials and packaging.
- Modifies design to conform with customer specifications, production limitations, or changes in design trends.
- Directs and coordinates preparation of detailed drawings from sketches or fabrication of models or samples.
- Reads publications, attends showings, and studies traditional, period, and contemporary design styles and motifs to obtain perspective and design concepts.
- Prepares itemized production requirements to produce item.
- Fabricates model or sample in paper, wood, glass, fabric, plastic, or metal, using hand and power tools.
- Presents design to customer or design committee for approval and discusses need for modification.
- Evaluates design ideas for feasibility based on factors, such as appearance, function, serviceability, budget, production costs/methods, and market characteristics.