DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
27-1022 Fashion Designers
Occupational Description:Design clothing and accessories. Create original designs or adapt fashion trends.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||N/A||21||$32.13/hr||$2.54/hr||$14.68/hr||$21.55/hr||$28.28/hr||$41.70/hr||$58.35/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Architectural and Civil Drafters||1,180||$26.43/hr||N/A|
|Commercial and Industrial Designers||420||$25.08/hr||N/A|
|Set and Exhibit Designers||220||$19.75/hr||N/A|
|Fabric and Apparel Patternmakers||N/A||$10.73/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Fashion Designers
- Designs custom garments for clients.
- Integrates findings of analysis and discussion, and personal tastes and knowledge of design, to originate design ideas.
- Draws pattern for article designed, cuts pattern, and cuts material according to pattern, using measuring and drawing instruments, and scissors.
- Attends fashion shows and reviews garment magazines and manuals to analyze fashion trends, predictions, and consumer preferences.
- Sews together sections to form mockup or sample of garment or article, using sewing equipment.
- Directs and coordinates workers who draw and cut patterns, and construct sample or finished garment.
- Arranges for showing of sample garments at sales meetings or fashion shows.
- Confers with sales and management executives, or clients regarding design ideas.
- Examines sample garment on and off model, and modifies design to achieve desired effect.
- Sketches rough and detailed drawings of apparel or accessories, and writes specifications, such as color scheme, construction, or material type.