DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
27-1025 Interior Designers
Occupational Description:Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design. Excludes "Merchandise Displayers and Window Trimmers" (27-1026).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||690||115||$23.77/hr||$1.63/hr||$12.45/hr||$15.34/hr||$20.77/hr||$30.12/hr||$40.66/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Architectural and Civil Drafters||1,130||$24.11/hr||N/A|
|Commercial and Industrial Designers||380||$27.15/hr||N/A|
|Set and Exhibit Designers||220||$19.88/hr||N/A|
|Tailors, Dressmakers, and Custom Sewers||N/A||$14.19/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Interior Designers
- Formulates environmental plan to be practical, esthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity or selling merchandise.
- Confers with client to determine factors affecting planning interior environments, such as budget, architectural preferences, and purpose and function.
- Advises client on interior design factors, such as space planning, layout and utilization of furnishings and equipment, and color coordination.
- Estimates material requirements and costs, and presents design to client for approval.
- Renders design ideas in form of paste ups or drawings.
- Subcontracts fabrication, installation, and arrangement of carpeting, fixtures, accessories, draperies, paint and wall coverings, art work, furniture, and related items.
- Plans and designs interior environments for boats, planes, buses, trains, and other enclosed spaces.
- Selects or designs and purchases furnishings, art works, and accessories.