DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
27-2042 Musicians and Singers
Occupational Description:Play one or more musical instruments or sing. May perform on stage, for on-air broadcasting, or for sound or video recording.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education||2,960||$52,396/yr||5.4%|
|Art, Drama, and Music Teachers, Postsecondary||1,790||$58,285/yr||13.4%|
|Writers and Authors||1,140||$23.38/hr||8.5%|
|Producers and Directors||1,060||$29.39/hr||6.8%|
|Music Directors and Composers||610||$21.87/hr||10.6%|
|Film and Video Editors||300||$18.46/hr||-0.6%|
|Musical Instrument Repairers and Tuners||N/A||$17.69/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Musicians and Singers
- Sings before audience or recipient of message as soloist, or in group, as member of vocal ensemble.
- Practices songs and routines to maintain and improve vocal skills.
- Observes choral leader or prompter for cues or directions in vocal presentation.
- Sings a cappella or with musical accompaniment.
- Memorizes musical selections and routines, or sings following printed text, musical notation, or customer instructions.
- Interprets or modifies music, applying knowledge of harmony, melody, rhythm, and voice production, to individualize presentation and maintain audience interest.
- Plays musical instrument as soloist or as member of musical group, such as orchestra or band, to entertain audience.
- Transposes music to play in alternate key, or to fit individual style or purposes.
- Teaches music for specific instruments.
- Composes new musical scores.
- Directs band/orchestra.
- Memorizes musical scores.
- Plays from memory or by following score.
- Studies and rehearses music to learn and interpret score.
- Practices performance on musical instrument to maintain and improve skills.
- Improvises music during performance.