DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
27-3091 Interpreters and Translators
Occupational Description:Interpret oral or sign language, or translate written text from one language into another.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education||25,200||$55,928/yr||4.5%|
|Writers and Authors||1,340||$25.23/hr||8.5%|
|Detectives and Criminal Investigators||1,200||$32.45/hr||1.9%|
|Music Directors and Composers||490||$23.17/hr||10.6%|
Tasks for Interpreters and Translators
- Listens to statements of speaker to ascertain meaning and to remember what is said, using electronic audio system.
- Translates approximate or exact message of speaker into specified language, orally or by using hand signs for hearing impaired.
- Translates responses from second language to first.
- Reads written material, such as legal documents, scientific works, or news reports and rewrites material into specified language, according to established rules of grammar.
- Receives information on subject to be discussed prior to interpreting session.