DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
27-4012 Broadcast Technicians
Occupational Description:Set up, operate, and maintain the electronic equipment used to transmit radio and television programs. Control audio equipment to regulate volume level and quality of sound during radio and television broadcasts. Operate transmitter to broadcast radio or television programs.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers||150||$16.02/hr||N/A|
|Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers||60||$24.75/hr||N/A|
|Film and Video Editors||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers||N/A||$17.23/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Broadcast Technicians
- Lays electrical cord and audio and video cables between vehicle, microphone, camera, and reporter or person to be interviewed.
- Aligns antennae with receiving dish to obtain clearest signal for transmission of news event to station.
- Monitors transmission of news event to station and adjusts equipment as needed to maintain quality broadcast.
- Performs preventive and minor equipment maintenance, using hand tools.
- Selects source, such as satellite or studio, from which program will be recorded.
- Observes monitors and converses with station personnel to set audio and video levels and to verify station is on-air.
- Drives news van to location of news events.
- Produces educational and training films and videotapes, including selection of equipment and preparation of script.
- Instructs trainees how to use television production equipment, to film events, and to copy/edit graphics or sound onto videotape.
- Edits manuals, schedules programs, and prepares reports outlining past and future programs, including content.
- Maintains log, as required by station management and Federal Communications Commission.
- Reads television programming log to ascertain program to be recorded or aired.
- Previews scheduled program to ensure that signal is functioning and program is ready for transmission.
- Sets up, operates, and maintains radio and television production equipment to broadcast programs or events.