DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
Occupational Description:Physicians who administer anesthetics prior to, during, or after surgery, or other medical procedures.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists||30||$26.14/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Anesthesiologists
- Administers anesthetic or sedation during medical procedures, using local, intravenous, spinal, or caudal methods.
- Monitors patient before, during, and after anesthesia and counteracts adverse reactions or complications.
- Examines patient to determine risk during surgical, obstetrical, and other medical procedures.
- Records type and amount of anesthesia and patient condition throughout procedure.
- Informs students and staff of types and methods of anesthesia administration, signs of complications, and emergency methods to counteract reactions.
- Positions patient on operating table to maximize patient comfort and surgical accessibility.
- Confers with medical professional to determine type and method of anesthetic or sedation to render patient insensible to pain.