DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
29-1063 Internists, General
Occupational Description:Physicians who diagnose and provide non-surgical treatment of diseases and injuries of internal organ systems. Provide care mainly for adults who have a wide range of problems associated with the internal organs. Subspecialists, such as cardiologists and gastroenterologists, are included in "Physicians and Surgeons, All Other" (29-1069).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 9 - South Central||30||12||$117/yr||$14.20/hr||>$80.00/hr||>$80.00/hr||>$80.00/hr||>$80.00/hr||>$80.00/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
Tasks for Internists, General
- Examines or conducts tests on patient to provide information on medical condition.
- Prescribes or administers treatment, therapy, medication, vaccination, and other specialized medical care to treat or prevent illness, disease, or injury.
- Operates on patients to remove, repair, or improve functioning of diseased or injured body parts and systems and delivers babies.
- Refers patient to medical specialist or other practitioner when necessary.
- Plans, implements, or administers health programs or standards in hospital, business, or community for information, prevention, or treatment of injury or illness.
- Prepares reports for government or management of birth, death, and disease statistics, workforce evaluations, or medical status of individuals.
- Conducts research to study anatomy and develop or test medications, treatments, or procedures to prevent, or control disease or injury.
- Directs and coordinates activities of nurses, students, assistants, specialists, therapists, and other medical staff.
- Advises patients and community concerning diet, activity, hygiene, and disease prevention.
- Collects, records, and maintains patient information, such as medical history, reports, and examination results.
- Explains procedures and discusses test results on prescribed treatments with patents.
- Analyzes records, reports, test results, or examination information to diagnose medical condition of patient.
- Monitors patients'condition and progress and re-evaluates treatments as necessary.