DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
Occupational Description:Physicians who diagnose, treat, and help prevent disorders of the mind.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
Tasks for Psychiatrists
- Analyzes and evaluates patient data and test or examination findings to diagnose nature and extent of mental disorder.
- Prescribes, directs, and administers psychotherapeutic treatments or medications to treat mental, emotional, or behavioral disorders.
- Gathers and maintains patient information and records, including social and medical history obtained from patient, relatives, and other professionals.
- Advises and informs guardians, relatives, and significant others of patient's condition and treatment.
- Teaches, conducts research, and publishes findings to increase understanding of mental, emotional, behavioral states and disorders.
- Prepares case reports and summaries for government agencies.
- Reviews and evaluates treatment procedures and outcomes of other psychiatrists and medical professionals.
- Examines or conducts laboratory or diagnostic tests on patient to provide information on general physical condition and mental disorder.