DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
29-1123 Physical Therapists
Occupational Description:Assess, plan, organize, and participate in rehabilitative programs that improve mobility, relieve pain, increase strength, and improve or correct disabling conditions resulting from disease or injury.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 1 - Northwest||50||8||$33.89/hr||$0.77/hr||$28.53/hr||$31.14/hr||$33.86/hr||$36.60/hr||$41.84/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||100||$24.83/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Physical Therapists
- Administers manual exercises to improve and maintain function.
- Administers massage, applying knowledge of massage techniques and body physiology.
- Instructs, motivates, and assists patient to perform various physical activities and use supportive devices, such as crutches, canes, and prostheses.
- Administers traction to relieve pain, using traction equipment.
- Records treatment, response, and progress in patient's chart or enters information into computer.
- Confers with medical practitioners to obtain additional information, suggest revisions in treatment, and integrate physical therapy into patient's care.
- Evaluates, fits, and adjusts prosthetic and orthotic devices and recommends modification to orthotist.
- Instructs patient and family in treatment procedures to be continued at home.
- Plans and prepares written treatment program based on evaluation of patient data.
- Reviews physician's referral and patient's condition and medical records to determine physical therapy treatment required.
- Tests and measures patient's strength, motor development, sensory perception, functional capacity, and respiratory and circulatory efficiency and records data.
- Evaluates effects of treatment at various stages and adjusts treatments to achieve maximum benefit.
- Administers treatment involving application of physical agents, using equipment, moist packs, ultraviolet and infrared lamps, and ultrasound machines.