DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
29-9011 Occupational Health and Safety Specialists
Occupational Description:Review, evaluate, and analyze work environments and design programs and procedures to control, eliminate, and prevent disease or injury caused by chemical, physical, and biological agents or ergonomic factors. May conduct inspections and enforce adherence to laws and regulations governing the health and safety of individuals. May be employed in the public or private sector. Includes environmental protection officers.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 8 - Southwest||20||4||$30.34/hr||$1.55/hr||$20.85/hr||$25.03/hr||$31.22/hr||$35.20/hr||$38.31/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Compliance Officers, Except Agriculture, Construction, Health and Safety, and Transportation||40||$27.39/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Occupational Health and Safety Specialists
- Investigates adequacy of ventilation, exhaust equipment, lighting, and other conditions which may affect employee health, comfort, or efficiency.
- Uses cost-benefit analysis to justify money spent.
- Prepares documents to be used in legal proceedings and gives testimony in court proceedings.
- Prepares and calibrates equipment used to collect and analyze samples.
- Reviews physicians' reports and conducts worker studies to determine if diseases or illnesses are job related.
- Collects samples of dust, gases, vapors, and other potentially toxic materials for analysis.
- Recommends measures to ensure maximum employee protection.
- Collaborates with engineers and physicians to institute control and remedial measures for hazardous and potentially hazardous conditions of equipment.
- Prepares reports including observations, analysis of contaminants, and recommendation for control and correction of hazards.
- Participates in educational meetings to instruct employees in matters pertaining to occupational health and prevention of accidents.
- Conducts evaluations of exposure to ionizing and nonionizing radiation and to noise.