DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
31-1013 Psychiatric Aides
Occupational Description:Assist mentally impaired or emotionally disturbed patients, working under direction of nursing and medical staff. May assist with daily living activities, lead patients in educational and recreational activities, or accompany patients to and from examinations and treatments. May restrain violent patients. Includes psychiatric orderlies.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 5 - North Central||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Personal and Home Care Aides||1,300||$10.15/hr||N/A|
|Home Health Aides||1,180||$10.53/hr||N/A|
|Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses||890||$18.02/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Psychiatric Aides
- Monitors patients to ensure patients remain in assigned areas and aids or restrains patients to prevent injuries.
- Accompanies patients to and from wards for medical and dental treatments, shopping trips, and to religious and recreational events.
- Encourages patients to participate in social, educational, and recreational activities.
- Notes and maintains records of patients' activities, such as vital signs, eating habits, and daily behavior.
- Administers prescribed medications, measures vital signs, and performs other nursing duties, such as collecting specimens and drawing blood samples.
- Serves meals and feeds patients needing assistance.
- Demonstrates and assists patients in bathing, dressing, and grooming.
- Assists patients in becoming accustomed to hospital routine.