DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
33-2021 Fire Inspectors and Investigators
Occupational Description:Inspect buildings to detect fire hazards and enforce local ordinances and State laws, or investigate and gather facts to determine cause of fires and explosions.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 5 - North Central||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Compliance Officers, Except Agriculture, Construction, Health and Safety, and Transportation||40||$29.96/hr||N/A|
|Detectives and Criminal Investigators||30||$29.12/hr||N/A|
|Private Detectives and Investigators||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Fire Inspectors and Investigators
- Inspects interiors and exteriors of buildings to detect hazardous conditions or violations of fire codes.
- Issues permits and summons, and enforces fire codes.
- Tests equipment, such as gasoline storage tanks, air compressors, and fire-extinguishing and fire protection equipment to ensure conformance to fire and safety codes.
- Discusses violations and unsafe conditions with facility representative, makes recommendations, and instructs in fire safety practices.
- Prepares reports, such as inspections performed, code violations, and recommendations for eliminating fire hazards.
- Gives first aid in emergencies.
- Collects fees for permits and licenses.
- Examines site and collects evidence to gather information relating to cause of fire, explosion, or false alarm.
- Photographs damage and evidence relating to cause of fire or explosion, for future reference.
- Subpoenas and interviews witnesses, property owners, and building occupants to obtain information and sworn testimony.
- Conducts internal investigation to determine negligence and violation of laws and regulations by fire department employees.
- Analyzes evidence and other information to determine probable cause of fire or explosion.
- Tests site and materials to establish facts, such as burn patterns and flash points of materials, using test equipment.
- Prepares and maintains reports of investigation results, and records of convicted arsonists and arson suspects.
- Swears out warrants and arrests, logs, fingerprints, and detains suspected arsonists.
- Testifies in court for cases involving fires, suspected arson, and false alarms.
- Instructs children about dangers of fire.