DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
35-2021 Food Preparation Workers
Occupational Description:Perform a variety of food preparation duties other than cooking, such as preparing cold foods and shellfish, slicing meat, and brewing coffee or tea.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 10 - Southeast||740||65||$11.07/hr||$0.45/hr||$7.96/hr||$8.70/hr||$10.16/hr||$12.27/hr||$16.14/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food||3,020||$8.66/hr||N/A|
|Waiters and Waitresses||1,420||$8.72/hr||N/A|
|Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria||890||$11.42/hr||N/A|
|Food Servers, Nonrestaurant||820||$11.02/hr||N/A|
|Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop||580||$8.72/hr||N/A|
|Dining Room and Cafeteria Attendants and Bartender Helpers||160||$8.81/hr||N/A|
|Cooks, Short Order||140||$8.87/hr||N/A|
|Cooks, Fast Food||110||$8.86/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Food Preparation Workers
- Cleans and portions, and cuts or peels various foods to prepare for cooking or serving.
- Cleans, cuts, slices, or disjoints meats and poultry to prepare for cooking.
- Prepares and serves variety of beverages, such as coffee, tea, and soft drinks.
- Portions and arranges food on serving dishes, trays, carts, or conveyor belts.
- Prepares variety of foods according to customers' orders or instructions of superior, following approved procedures.
- Carries food supplies, equipment, and utensils to and from storage and work areas.
- Distributes food to waiters and waitresses to serve to customers.
- Stores food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage.
- Butchers and cleans fowl, fish, poultry, and shellfish to prepare for cooking or serving.
- Requisitions, stores, and distributes food supplies, equipment, and utensils.
- Cleans and maintains work areas, equipment, and utensils.