DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
37-1011 First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers
Occupational Description:Directly supervise and coordinate work activities of cleaning personnel in hotels, hospitals, offices, and other establishments.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
Tasks for First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers
- Assigns workers their duties and inspects work for conformance to prescribed standards of cleanliness.
- Obtains list of rooms to be cleaned immediately and list of prospective check-outs or discharges to prepare work assignments.
- Screens job applicants, hires new employees, and recommends promotions, transfers, and dismissals.
- Advises manager, desk clerk, or admitting personnel of rooms ready for occupancy.
- Establishes standards and procedures for work of housekeeping staff.
- Issues supplies and equipment to workers.
- Inventories stock to ensure adequate supplies.
- Selects and purchases new furnishings.
- Performs cleaning duties in cases of emergency or staff shortage.
- Prepares reports concerning room occupancy, payroll, and department expenses.
- Examines building to determine need for repairs or replacement of furniture or equipment, and makes recommendations to management.
- Makes recommendations to improve service and ensure more efficient operation.
- Attends staff meetings to discuss company policies and patrons' complaints.
- Evaluates records to forecast department personnel requirements.
- Conducts orientation training and in-service training to explain policies, work procedures, and to demonstrate use and maintenance of equipment.
- Records data regarding work assignments, personnel actions, and time cards, and prepares periodic reports.
- Coordinates work activities among departments.
- Investigates complaints regarding housekeeping service and equipment, and takes corrective action.
- Supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in janitorial services.
- Assigns janitorial work to employees, following material and work requirements.
- Trains workers in janitorial methods and procedures and proper operation of equipment.
- Confers with staff to resolve production and personnel problems.
- Records personnel data on specified forms.
- Recommends personnel actions, such as hires and discharges, to ensure proper staffing.
- Issues janitorial supplies and equipment to workers to ensure quality and timely delivery of services.
- Inspects work performed to ensure conformance to specifications and established standards.