DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
37-1012 First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
Occupational Description:Directly supervise and coordinate activities of workers engaged in landscaping or groundskeeping activities. Work may involve reviewing contracts to ascertain service, machine, and workforce requirements; answering inquiries from potential customers regarding methods, material, and price ranges; and preparing estimates according to labor, material, and machine costs.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7W- Central||80||32||$20.94/hr||$1.33/hr||$15.47/hr||$16.86/hr||$19.53/hr||$22.92/hr||$31.89/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Food Preparation and Serving Workers||950||$13.11/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers||380||$29.23/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers||180||$19.57/hr||N/A|
|Chefs and Head Cooks||50||$20.84/hr||N/A|
|Meeting and Convention Planners||40||$15.22/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Farming, Fishing, and Forestry Workers||10||$17.31/hr||N/A|
Tasks for First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- Supervises workers who provide grounds-keeping services on a contract basis.
- Reviews contracts to ascertain service, machine, and work force requirements for job.
- Answers customers' questions about grounds-keeping care requirements.
- Prepares service cost estimates for customers.
- Schedules work for crew according to weather conditions, availability of equipment, and seasonal limitations.
- Investigates customer complaints.
- Spot checks completed work to improve quality of service and to ensure contract compliance.
- Suggests changes in work procedures and orders corrective work done.
- Prepares work activity and personnel reports.
- Directs workers in maintenance and repair of driveways, walkways, benches, graves, and mausoleums.
- Directs and assists workers engaged in maintenance and repair of equipment such as powermower and backhoe, using hand tools and power tools.
- Observes ongoing work to ascertain if work is being performed according to instructions and will be completed on time.
- Determines work priority, crew and equipment requirements, and assigns workers tasks, such as planting, fertilizing, irrigating, and mowing.
- Mixes and prepares spray and dust solutions, and directs application of fertilizer, insecticide, and fungicide.
- Trains workers in tasks, such as transplanting and pruning trees and shrubs, finishing cement, using equipment, and caring for turf.
- Confers with manager to develop plans and schedules for maintenance and improvement of grounds.
- Interviews, hires, and discharges workers.
- Assists workers in performing work when completion is critical.
- Tours grounds, such as park, botanical garden, cemetery, or golf course to inspect conditions.
- Keeps employee time records, and records daily work performed.