DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
37-2011 Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
Occupational Description:Keep buildings in clean and orderly condition. Perform heavy cleaning duties, such as cleaning floors, shampooing rugs, washing walls and glass, and removing rubbish. Duties may include tending furnace and boiler, performing routine maintenance activities, notifying management of need for repairs, and cleaning snow or debris from sidewalk.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 4 - West Central||1,370||62||$12.19/hr||$0.29/hr||$8.37/hr||$9.66/hr||$11.37/hr||$14.34/hr||$17.83/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers||490||$10.49/hr||N/A|
|Helpers--Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Workers||90||$10.72/hr||N/A|
|Refractory Materials Repairers, Except Brickmasons||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Foundry Mold and Coremakers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Automotive Glass Installers and Repairers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, and vacuums floors of buildings, using cleaning solutions, tools and equipment.
- Gathers and empties trash.
- Cleans or polishes walls, ceilings, windows, plant equipment and building fixtures, using steam cleaning equipment, scrapers, brooms and variety of hand and power tools.
- Applies waxes or sealers to wood or concrete floors.
- Tends, cleans, adjusts and services furnaces, air conditioners, boilers and other building heating and cooling systems.
- Removes snow from sidewalks, driveways, and parking areas, using snowplow, snowblower, and snow shovel, and spreads snow melting chemicals.
- Notifies management personnel concerning need for major repairs or additions to building operating systems.
- Sprays insecticides and fumigants to prevent insect and rodent infestation.
- Cleans laboratory equipment, such as glassware and metal instruments, using solvents, brushes, rags, and power cleaning equipment.
- Mows and trims lawns and shrubbery, using mowers and hand and power trimmers, and clears debris from grounds.
- Mixes water and detergents or acids in container to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications.
- Drives vehicles, such as van, industrial truck or industrial vacuum cleaner.
- Cleans chimneys, flues, and connecting pipes, using power and hand tools.
- Cleans and restores building interiors damaged by fire, smoke, or water, using commercial cleaning equipment.
- Services and repairs cleaning and maintenance equipment and machinery and performs minor routine painting, plumbing, electrical, and related activities.
- Moves items between departments, manually or using handtruck.
- Sets up, arranges, and removes decorations, tables, chairs, ladders, and scaffolding, for events such as banquets and social functions.
- Requisitions supplies and equipment used in cleaning and maintenance duties.
- Dusts furniture, walls, machines, and equipment.