DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
37-2021 Pest Control Workers
Occupational Description:Apply or release chemical solutions or toxic gases and set traps to kill or remove pests and vermin that infest buildings and surrounding areas.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers||130||$9.48/hr||N/A|
|Pesticide Handlers, Sprayers, and Applicators, Vegetation||110||$13.79/hr||N/A|
|Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||10||$14.52/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Pest Control Workers
- Sprays or dusts chemical solutions, powders, or gases into rooms, onto clothing, furnishings or wood, and over marshlands, ditches, catch-basins.
- Sets mechanical traps and places poisonous paste or bait in sewers, burrows, and ditches.
- Cuts or bores openings in building or surrounding concrete, accesses infested areas, inserts nozzle, and injects pesticide to impregnate ground.
- Directs and/or assists other workers in treatment and extermination processes to eliminate and control rodents, insects, and weeds.
- Studies preliminary reports and diagrams of infested area and determines treatment type required to eliminate and prevent recurrence of infestation.
- Digs up and burns or sprays weeds with herbicides.
- Cleans work site after completion of job.
- Records work activities performed.
- Drives truck equipped with power spraying equipment.
- Posts warning signs and locks building doors to secure area to be fumigated.
- Positions and fastens edges of tarpaulins over building and tapes vents to ensure air-tight environment and checks for leaks.
- Cleans and removes blockages from infested areas to facilitate spraying procedure and provide drainage, using broom, mop, shovel, and rake.
- Measures area dimensions requiring treatment, using rule, calculates fumigant requirements, and estimates cost for service.
- Inspects premises to identify infestation source and extent of damage to property, wall, and roof porosity, and access to infested locations.