DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
39-9021 Personal and Home Care Aides
Occupational Description:Assist the elderly, convalescents, or persons with disabilities with daily living activities at the person's home or in a care facility. Duties performed at a place of residence may include keeping house (making beds, doing laundry, washing dishes) and preparing meals. May provide assistance at non-residential care facilities. May advise families, the elderly, convalescents, and persons with disabilities regarding such things as nutrition, cleanliness, and household activities.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 4 - West Central||2,330||159||$10.09/hr||$0.23/hr||$8.12/hr||$9.13/hr||$10.20/hr||$11.15/hr||$11.77/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Home Health Aides||1,080||$10.73/hr||N/A|
|Child Care Workers||210||$8.88/hr||N/A|
|Counter and Rental Clerks||160||$10.84/hr||N/A|
|Locker Room, Coatroom, and Dressing Room Attendants||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Personal and Home Care Aides
- Advises and assists family members in planning nutritious meals, purchasing and preparing foods, and utilizing commodities from surplus food programs.
- Explains fundamental hygiene principles.
- Assists in training children.
- Gives bedside care to incapacitated individuals and trains family members to provide bedside care.
- Assigns housekeeping duties according to children's capabilities.
- Obtains information for client, for personal and business purposes.
- Types correspondence and reports.
- Drives motor vehicle to transport client to specified locations.
- Assists parents in establishing good study habits for children.
- Assists client with dressing, undressing, and toilet activities.
- Prepares and maintains records of assistance rendered.
- Evaluates needs of individuals served and plans for continuing services.