DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
Occupational Description:Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. May use electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. May process credit or debit card transactions and validate checks. Excludes “Gaming Cage Persons and Booth Cashiers” (41-2012).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 5 - North Central||1,840||94||$9.05/hr||$0.16/hr||$7.80/hr||$8.25/hr||$8.98/hr||$9.98/hr||$11.35/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food||670||$8.59/hr||N/A|
|Receptionists and Information Clerks||520||$12.32/hr||N/A|
|Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators||230||$15.83/hr||N/A|
|Counter and Rental Clerks||70||$9.45/hr||N/A|
|Postal Service Clerks||30||$25.56/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Cashiers
- Receives sales slip, cash, check, voucher, or charge payments and issues receipts, refunds, credits, or change due to customer.
- Cashes checks.
- Operates cash register or electronic scanner.
- Computes and records totals of transactions.
- Keeps periodic balance sheet of amount and number of transactions.
- Sorts, counts, and wraps currency and coins.
- Sells tickets and other items to customer.
- Monitors checkout stations, issues and removes cash as needed, and assigns workers to reduce customer delay.
- Resolves customer's complaints.
- Compiles and maintains non-monetary reports and records.
- Bags, boxes, or wraps merchandise.
- Answers questions and provides information to customers.
- Learns prices, stocks shelves, marks prices, weighs items, issues trading stamps, and redeems food stamps and coupons.