DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
41-3031 Securities, Commodities, and Financial Services Sales Agents
Occupational Description:Buy and sell securities or commodities in investment and trading firms, or provide financial services to businesses and individuals. May advise customers about stocks, bonds, mutual funds, commodities, and market conditions.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products||29,720||$30.52/hr||13.7%|
|Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products||7,570||$39.33/hr||10.1%|
|Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products||2,580||$27.18/hr||8.4%|
|Real Estate Sales Agents||2,010||$17.54/hr||13.4%|
|Purchasing Agents and Buyers, Farm Products||310||$32.13/hr||6.3%|
Tasks for Securities, Commodities, and Financial Services Sales Agents
- Develops financial plan based on analysis of client's financial status, and discusses financial options with client.
- Records transactions accurately and keeps client informed about transactions.
- Keeps informed about political and economic trends that influence stock prices.
- Interviews client to determine client's assets, liabilities, cash flow, insurance coverage, tax status, and financial objectives.
- Reads corporate reports and calculates ratios to determine best prospects for profit on stock purchase and to monitor client account.
- Identifies potential clients, using advertising campaigns, mailing lists, and personal contacts and solicits business.
- Prepares financial reports to monitor client or corporate finances.
- Informs and advises concerned parties regarding fluctuations and securities transactions affecting plan or account.
- Completes sales order tickets and submits for processing of client requested transaction.
- Prepares documents to implement plan selected by client.
- Reviews all securities transactions to ensure accuracy of information and that trades conform to regulations of governing agencies.
- Analyzing market conditions to determine optimum time to execute securities transactions.
- Contacts exchange or brokerage firm to execute order or buys and sell securities based on market quotation and competition in market.
- Sells services and equipment, such as trust, investment, and check processing services.
- Contacts prospective customers to present information and explain available services.
- Determines customers' financial services needs and prepares proposals to sell services.
- Develops prospects from current commercial customers, referral leads, and sales and trade meetings.
- Reviews business trends and advises customers regarding expected fluctuations.
- Prepares forms or agreement to complete sale.
- Evaluates costs and revenue of agreements to determine continued profitability.
- Makes presentations on financial services to groups to attract new clients.