DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
41-4011 Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products
Occupational Description:Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, chemistry, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education. Excludes “Sales Engineers” (41-9031).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products||420||$25.85/hr||N/A|
|Insurance Sales Agents||120||$17.55/hr||N/A|
|Securities, Commodities, and Financial Services Sales Agents||70||N/A||N/A|
|Purchasing Agents and Buyers, Farm Products||40||$33.62/hr||N/A|
|Advertising Sales Agents||30||$14.65/hr||N/A|
|Public Relations Specialists||10||$19.04/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products
- Solicits orders from customers in person or by phone.
- Recommends changes in customer use of agricultural products to improve production.
- Prepares reports of business transactions.
- Demonstrates use of agricultural equipment or machines.
- Informs customer of estimated delivery schedule, service contracts, warranty, or other information pertaining to purchased products.
- Consults with customer regarding installation, set-up, or layout of agricultural equipment and machines.
- Prepares sales contracts for orders obtained.
- Displays or shows customer agricultural related products.
- Compiles lists of prospective customers for use as sales leads.
- Quotes prices and credit terms.
- Promotes and sells pharmaceutical and chemical products to potential customers.
- Distributes drug samples to customer and takes orders for pharmaceutical supply items from customer.
- Explains water treatment package benefits to customer and sells chemicals to treat and resolve water process problems.
- Discusses characteristics and clinical studies pertaining to pharmaceutical products with physicians, dentists, hospitals, and retail/wholesale establishments.
- Inspects, tests, and observes chemical changes in water system equipment, utilizing test kit, reference manual, and knowledge of chemical treatment.
- Estimates and advises customer of service costs to correct water-treatment process problems.
- Analyzes communication needs of customer and consults with staff engineers regarding technical problems.
- Trains establishment personnel in equipment use, utilizing knowledge of electronics and product sold.
- Recommends equipment to meet customer requirements, considering salable features, such as flexibility, cost, capacity, and economy of operation.
- Negotiates terms of sale and services with customer.
- Sells electrical or electronic equipment, such as computers, data processing and radiographic equipment to businesses and industrial establishments.
- Recommends and sells textile, industrial, construction, railroad, and oil field machinery, equipment, materials, and supplies, and services utilizing knowledge of machine operations.
- Computes installation or production costs, estimates savings, and prepares and submits bid specifications to customer for review and approval.
- Arranges for installation and test-operation of machinery and recommends solutions to product-related problems.
- Demonstrates and explains use of installed equipment and production processes.
- Appraises equipment and verifies customer credit rating to establish trade-in value and contract terms.
- Attends sales and trade meetings and reads related publications to obtain current market condition information, business trends, and industry developments.
- Inspects establishment premises to verify installation feasibility, and obtains building blueprints and elevator specifications to submit to engineering department for bid.
- Reviews existing machinery/equipment placement and diagrams proposal to illustrate efficient space utilization, using standard measuring devices and templates.
- Submits orders for product and follows-up on order to verify material list accuracy and delivery schedule meets project deadline.
- Contacts current and potential customers, visits establishments to evaluate needs, and promotes sale of products and services.
- Promotes sale of medical and dental equipment, supplies, and services to doctors, dentists, hospitals, medical schools, and retail establishments.
- Writes specifications to order custom-made surgical appliances, using customer measurements and physician prescriptions.
- Designs and fabricates custom-made medical appliances.
- Advises customer regarding office layout, legal and insurance regulations, cost analysis, and collection methods.
- Studies data describing new products to accurately recommend purchase of equipment and supplies.
- Selects surgical appliances from stock and fits and sells appliance to customer.
- Assists customer with product selection, utilizing knowledge of engineering specifications and catalog resources.
- Sells weighing and other precision instruments, such as spring scales, dynamometers, and laboratory, navigational, and surveying instruments to customer.
- Evaluates customer needs and emphasizes product features based on technical knowledge of product capabilities and limitations.