DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-3021 Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators
Occupational Description:Compile, compute, and record billing, accounting, statistical, and other numerical data for billing purposes. Prepare billing invoices for services rendered or for delivery or shipment of goods.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7E- East Central||180||25||$16.25/hr||$0.70/hr||$10.58/hr||$12.94/hr||$15.63/hr||$19.56/hr||$22.49/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Office Clerks, General||1,100||$13.25/hr||N/A|
|Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks||620||$16.22/hr||N/A|
|Secretaries, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive||450||$17.36/hr||N/A|
|Stock Clerks and Order Fillers||430||$10.35/hr||N/A|
|Loan Interviewers and Clerks||90||$16.36/hr||N/A|
|Data Entry Keyers||60||$12.39/hr||N/A|
|Court, Municipal, and License Clerks||60||$19.93/hr||N/A|
|Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks||50||$19.54/hr||N/A|
|New Accounts Clerks||N/A||$16.89/hr||N/A|
|Credit Authorizers, Checkers, and Clerks||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators
- Compares previously prepared bank statements with canceled checks, prepares statements for distribution to customers, and reconciles discrepancies in records and accounts.
- Recovers checks returned to customer in error, adjusts customer account, and answers inquiries.
- Matches statement with batch of canceled checks by account number.
- Posts stop-payment notices to prevent payment of protested checks.
- Takes orders for imprinted checks.
- Encodes and cancels checks, using machine.
- Keeps canceled checks and customer signature files.
- Routes statements for mailing or over-the-counter delivery to customers.
- Inserts statements and canceled checks in envelopes and affixes postage, or stuffs envelopes and meters postage.
- Computes amounts due from such documents as purchase orders, sales tickets, and charge slips.
- Updates manuals when rates, rules, or regulations are amended.
- Estimates market value of product or services.
- Answers mail and telephone inquiries regarding rates, routing, and procedures.
- Consults manuals which include rates, rules, regulations, and government tax and tariff information.
- Compiles cost factor reports, such as labor, production, storage, and equipment.
- Verifies compiled data from vendor invoices to ensure accuracy and revises billing data when errors are found.
- Resolves discrepancies on accounting records.
- Types billing documents, shipping labels, credit memorandums, and credit forms, using typewriter or computer.
- Keeps records of invoices and support documents.
- Compiles and computes credit terms, discounts, and purchase prices for billing documents.
- Calculates accounting and other numerical data, such as amounts customers owe, sales totals, and inventory data, using calculating machine.
- Transcribes data from office records, using specified forms, billing machine, and transcribing machine.
- Transfers data from machine, such as encoding machine, to computer.
- Bundles sorted documents to prepare those drawn on other banks for collection.
- Cleans machines, such as encoding or sorting machines, and replaces ribbons, film, and tape.
- Manually sorts and lists items for proof or collection.
- Observes operation of sorter to note document machine cannot read, and manually records amount, using keyboard.
- Compares machine totals to records for errors, and encodes correct amount or prepares correction record if error is found.
- Sorts and microfilms transaction documents, such as checks, using sorting machine.
- Encodes and adds amounts of transaction documents, such as checks or money orders, using encoding machine.
- Posts totals to records and prepares bill or invoice to be sent to customers, using billing machine.