DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-3031 Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
Occupational Description:Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers. Excludes “Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks” (43-3051).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 1 - Northwest||560||26||$14.57/hr||$0.43/hr||$9.00/hr||$11.39/hr||$14.92/hr||$17.51/hr||$19.71/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Office Clerks, General||670||$13.17/hr||N/A|
|Secretaries, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive||250||$17.09/hr||N/A|
|Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators||120||$15.83/hr||N/A|
|Loan Interviewers and Clerks||40||$15.87/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
- Records financial transactions and other account information to update and maintain accounting records.
- Performs financial calculations such as amounts due, balances, discounts, equity, and principal.
- Debits or credits accounts.
- Complies with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Evaluates records for accuracy of balances, postings, calculations, and other records pertaining to business or operating transactions and reconciles, or notes discrepancies.
- Processes negotiable instruments such as checks and vouchers.
- Verifies balances and entries, calculations, and postings recorded by other workers.
- Compiles reports and tables to show statistics related to cash receipts, expenditures, accounts payable and receivable, and profit and loss.