DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-4021 Correspondence Clerks
Occupational Description:Compose letters or electronic correspondence in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, incorrect billings, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and preparing correspondence.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators||9,650||$17.72/hr||15.5%|
|Credit Authorizers, Checkers, and Clerks||890||$21.23/hr||-7.5%|
Tasks for Correspondence Clerks
- Composes letter in response to request or problem identified by correspondence.
- Gathers data to formulate reply.
- Types acknowledgment letter to person sending correspondence.
- Processes orders for goods requested in correspondence.
- Reviews records pertinent to resolution of problem for completeness and accuracy and attaches records to correspondence for reply by others.
- Compiles data from records to prepare periodic reports.
- Investigates discrepancies in reports and records and confers with personnel in affected departments to ensure accuracy and compliance with procedures.
- Confers with company personnel regarding feasibility of complying with writer's request.
- Maintains files and control records to show status of action in processing correspondence.
- Routes correspondence to other departments for reply.
- Compiles data pertinent to manufacture of special products for customers.
- Completes form letters in response to request or problem identified by correspondence.
- Reads incoming correspondence to ascertain nature of writer's concern and determine disposition of correspondence.