DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-4041 Credit Authorizers, Checkers, and Clerks
Occupational Description:Authorize credit charges against customers' accounts. Investigate history and credit standing of individuals or business establishments applying for credit. May interview applicants to obtain personal and financial data; determine credit worthiness; process applications; and notify customers of acceptance or rejection of credit.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||650||43||$21.64/hr||$0.97/hr||$15.69/hr||$18.08/hr||$22.33/hr||$25.67/hr||$27.88/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Customer Service Representatives||35,500||$17.67/hr||N/A|
|Office Clerks, General||33,760||$15.14/hr||N/A|
|Stock Clerks and Order Fillers||21,300||$11.94/hr||N/A|
|Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators||5,830||$18.43/hr||N/A|
|Claims Adjusters, Examiners, and Investigators||3,280||$28.76/hr||N/A|
|Insurance Claims and Policy Processing Clerks||2,150||$17.74/hr||N/A|
|Interviewers, Except Eligibility and Loan||1,970||$14.84/hr||N/A|
|Eligibility Interviewers, Government Programs||1,690||$23.03/hr||N/A|
|Court, Municipal, and License Clerks||1,410||$19.37/hr||N/A|
|Insurance Appraisers, Auto Damage||100||$31.95/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Credit Authorizers, Checkers, and Clerks
- Verifies credit standing of customer from information in files, and approves or disapproves credit, based on predetermined standards.
- Files sales slips in customer's ledger for billing purposes.
- Keeps record of customer's charges and payments and mails charge statement to customer.
- Prepares credit cards or charge account plates.
- Receives charge slip or credit application by mail, or receives information from salespeople or merchants by phone.
- Interviews credit applicant by telephone or in person to obtain financial and personal data for credit report.
- Contacts former employers and other acquaintances to verify references, employment, health history, and social behavior.
- Obtains information from banks, credit bureaus, and other credit services and provides reciprocal information if requested.
- Compiles and analyzes credit information gathered by investigation.
- Telephones subscriber to relay requested information or sends subscriber credit report.
- Prepares reports of findings and recommendations, using typewriter or computer.
- Examines city directories and public records to verify residence property ownership, bankruptcies, liens, arrest record, or unpaid taxes of applicant.