DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-5031 Police, Fire, and Ambulance Dispatchers
Occupational Description:Operate radio, telephone, or computer equipment at emergency response centers. Receive reports from the public of crimes, disturbances, fires, and medical or police emergencies. Relay information to law enforcement and emergency response personnel. May maintain contact with caller until responders arrive.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 2 - Headwaters||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Eligibility Interviewers, Government Programs||60||$19.10/hr||N/A|
|Bill and Account Collectors||50||$18.17/hr||N/A|
|Counter and Rental Clerks||30||$10.42/hr||N/A|
|Dispatchers, Except Police, Fire, and Ambulance||20||$19.99/hr||N/A|
|Credit Authorizers, Checkers, and Clerks||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Police, Fire, and Ambulance Dispatchers
- Receives incoming calls by telephone or alarm system.
- Operates telecommunication equipment to relay information and messages to and from emergency site, and between law enforcement agencies.
- Monitors alarm system to detect fires, illegal entry into establishments, or other emergencies.
- Determines response needed to emergency.
- Provides instructions to caller, utilizing knowledge of emergency medical care.
- Questions caller, observes alarm register, and scans map, to determine if emergency is within service area.
- Tests and adjusts communication and alarm systems, and reports malfunctions to maintenance units.
- Records details of calls, dispatches, and messages and maintains logs and files, using computer.
- Scans status charts and computer screen to determine emergency units available for response.
- Questions caller to determine nature of problem and type and number of personnel and equipment needed.
- Contacts officers to verify assignment locations.
- Coordinates emergency requests, and dispatches response units to emergency, using radio or alarm system.