DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-5041 Meter Readers, Utilities
Occupational Description:Read meter and record consumption of electricity, gas, water, or steam.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|Postal Service Mail Carriers||6,350||$26.55/hr||-12.2%|
|Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers||2,080||$20.64/hr||-0.3%|
|Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles||90||$30.73/hr||11.3%|
|Log Graders and Scalers||60||$15.49/hr||9.2%|
|Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators||N/A||$18.12/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Meter Readers, Utilities
- Walks or drives truck over established route and takes readings of meter dials.
- Reads steam meter.
- Indicates irregularities on forms for necessary action by service department.
- Returns route book to business office for billing purposes.
- Verifies readings to locate abnormal consumption and records reasons for fluctuations.
- Turns service off for nonpayment of charges in vacant premises, or on for new occupants.
- Inspects meters for defects, damage, and unauthorized connections
- Collects bills in arrears.
- Reads water meter.
- Reads gas meter.
- Reads electric meter.