DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-5041 Meter Readers, Utilities
Occupational Description:Read meter and record consumption of electricity, gas, water, or steam.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 9 - South Central||N/A||N/A||$21.88/hr||$2.03/hr||$13.04/hr||$14.78/hr||$21.73/hr||$26.07/hr||$32.97/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Postal Service Mail Carriers||300||$24.33/hr||N/A|
|Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers||10||$15.38/hr||N/A|
|Log Graders and Scalers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Meter Readers, Utilities
- Walks or drives truck over established route and takes readings of meter dials.
- Reads steam meter.
- Indicates irregularities on forms for necessary action by service department.
- Returns route book to business office for billing purposes.
- Verifies readings to locate abnormal consumption and records reasons for fluctuations.
- Turns service off for nonpayment of charges in vacant premises, or on for new occupants.
- Inspects meters for defects, damage, and unauthorized connections
- Collects bills in arrears.
- Reads water meter.
- Reads gas meter.
- Reads electric meter.