DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-5081 Stock Clerks and Order Fillers
Occupational Description:Receive, store, and issue sales floor merchandise, materials, equipment, and other items from stockroom, warehouse, or storage yard to fill shelves, racks, tables, or customers' orders. May mark prices on merchandise and set up sales displays. Excludes "Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand" (53-7062), and "Shipping, Receiving, and Traffic Clerks" (43-5071).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 4 - West Central||1,200||101||$10.65/hr||$0.37/hr||$7.96/hr||$8.55/hr||$9.52/hr||$11.91/hr||$15.33/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food||1,670||$8.70/hr||N/A|
|Office Clerks, General||1,660||$12.79/hr||N/A|
|Shipping, Receiving, and Traffic Clerks||430||$14.64/hr||N/A|
|Food Preparation Workers||390||$9.47/hr||N/A|
|Counter and Rental Clerks||180||$9.24/hr||N/A|
|Production, Planning, and Expediting Clerks||120||$17.68/hr||N/A|
|Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks||110||$17.18/hr||N/A|
|Library Assistants, Clerical||70||$10.32/hr||N/A|
|Postal Service Clerks||40||$26.10/hr||N/A|
|Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers||40||$16.70/hr||N/A|
|Mail Clerks and Mail Machine Operators, Except Postal Service||20||$13.33/hr||N/A|
|Weighers, Measurers, Checkers, and Samplers, Recordkeeping||N/A||$17.64/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Stock Clerks and Order Fillers
- Receives, opens, and unpacks cartons or crates of merchandise and checks invoice against items received.
- Stocks storage areas and displays with new or transferred merchandise.
- Sets up advertising signs and displays merchandise on shelves, counters, or tables to attract customers and promote sales.
- Stamps, attaches, or changes price tags on merchandise, referring to price list.
- Cleans display cases, shelves, and aisles.
- Answers questions and advises customer in selection of merchandise.
- Packs customer purchases in bags or cartons.
- Transports packages to customer vehicle.
- Cuts lumber, screening, glass, and related materials to size requested by customer.
- Itemizes and totals customer merchandise selection at check out counter, using cash register, and accepts cash or charge card for purchases.
- Requisitions merchandise from supplier based on available space, merchandise on hand, customer demand, or advertised specials.
- Takes inventory or examines merchandise to identify items to be reordered or replenished.
- Marks selling price by hand on boxes containing merchandise or on price tickets.
- Pins, pastes, sews, ties, or staples tickets, tags, or labels to article, using tagging mechanism.
- Records price, buyer, and grade of product on tickets attached to products auctioned.
- Prints information on tickets, using ticket-printing machine.
- Records number and types of articles marked and packs articles in boxes.
- Keeps records of production, returned goods, and related transactions.
- Performs other clerical tasks during periods between auction sales.
- Compares printed price tickets with entries on purchase order to verify accuracy and notifies supervisor of discrepancies.
- Indicates price, size, style, color, and inspection results on tags, tickets, and labels, using rubber stamp or writing instrument.
- Receives, counts, and stores stock items and records data, manually or using computer.
- Compares office inventory records with sales orders, invoices, or requisitions to verify accuracy and receipt of items.
- Locates and selects material, supplies, tools, equipment, or other articles from stock or issues stock item to workers.
- Packs, unpacks, and marks stock items, using identification tag, stamp, electric marking tool, or other labeling equipment.
- Delivers products, supplies, and equipment to designated area, and determines sequence and release of back orders according to stock availability.
- Prepares documents, such as inventory balance, price lists, shortages, expenditures, and periodic reports, using computer, typewriter, or calculator.
- Purchases or prepares documents to purchase new or additional stock and recommends disposal of excess, defective, or obsolete stock.
- Examines and inspects stock items for wear or defects, reports damage to supervisor, and disposes of or returns items to vendor.
- Confers with engineering and purchasing personnel and vendors regarding procurement and stock availability.
- Drives truck to pick up incoming stock or deliver parts to designated locations.
- Cleans and maintains supplies, tools, equipment, and instruments, and storage areas to ensure compliance to safety regulations.
- Assists or directs to other stockroom, warehouse, or storage yard workers.
- Adjusts, repairs, assembles, or prepares products, supplies, equipment, or other items, according to specifications or customer requirements.
- Receives and fills orders or sells supplies, materials, and products to customers.
- Verifies computations against physical count of stock, adjusts for errors, or investigates discrepancies.
- Determines method of storage, identification, and stock location based on turnover, environmental factors, and physical capacity of facility.
- Compiles, reviews, and maintains data from contracts, purchase orders, requisitions, and other documents to determine supply needs.
- Records nature, quantity, value, or location of material, supplies, or equipment received, shipped, used, or issued to workers.
- Computes price of each group of items.
- Obtains merchandise from bins or shelves.
- Places merchandise on conveyor leading to wrapping area.
- Reads order to ascertain catalog number, size, color, and quantity of merchandise.