DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
45-2041 Graders and Sorters, Agricultural Products
Occupational Description:Grade, sort, or classify unprocessed food and other agricultural products by size, weight, color, or condition. Excludes ďAgricultural Inspectors" (45-2011).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
Tasks for Graders and Sorters, Agricultural Products
- Grades and sorts products, according to factors, such as color, length, width, appearance, feel, and smell.
- Weighs and places products in containers, according to grade and marks grade on containers.
- Segregates products on conveyor belt or table, according to grade, color, size, fiber quality, species, deformities, and sex.
- Estimates weight of product visually and by feel.
- Examines product fibers through microscope to determine maturity and spirality of fibers.
- Discards inferior or defective products and foreign matter and places acceptable products in containers for further processing.
- Pulls product sample apart between fingers to determine fiber quality.
- Records grade on tag or shipping, receiving, or sales sheet.