DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
47-2041 Carpet Installers
Occupational Description:Lay and install carpet from rolls or blocks on floors. Install padding and trim flooring materials. Excludes “Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles" (47-2042).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 10 - Southeast||20||5||$34.75/hr||$3.36/hr||$16.38/hr||$21.97/hr||$33.40/hr||$49.47/hr||$55.14/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Packers and Packagers, Hand||2,410||$9.16/hr||N/A|
|Automotive Glass Installers and Repairers||N/A||$21.52/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Carpet Installers
- Stretches carpet to ensure smooth surface and presses carpet in place over tack strips.
- Installs carpet on some floors using adhesive, following prescribed method.
- Cuts carpet padding to size and installs padding, following prescribed method.
- Cuts and trims carpet to fit along wall edges, openings, and projections.
- Studies floor sketches to determine area to be carpeted and amount of material needed to complete job.
- Joins edges of carpet that meet at openings, using tape with glue and heated carpet iron.
- Moves furniture from area to be carpeted and removes old carpet and padding.
- Fastens metal treads across door openings or where carpet meets flooring to hold carpet in place.
- Nails tack strips around area to be carpeted or uses old strips to attach edges of new carpet.
- Sews sections of carpeting together by hand, when necessary.
- Measures and cuts carpeting to size according to floor sketches, using carpet knife.