DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
47-2042 Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles
Occupational Description:Apply blocks, strips, or sheets of shock-absorbing, sound-deadening, or decorative coverings to floors.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Packers and Packagers, Hand||210||$9.46/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles
- Lays out, positions, and applies tile and other decorative material to floors, walls, and cabinets.
- Rolls and presses sheet wall and floor covering into cement base to smooth and finish surface, using hand roller.
- Brushes waterproof compound onto surface and fills cracks with plaster, putty, or grout to seal pores and form smooth foundation.
- Trims excess covering materials, tacks edges, and joins sections of covering material to form tight joint.
- Disconnects and removes appliances, light fixtures, and worn floor and wall covering from floors, walls, and cabinets.
- Sweeps, scrapes, sands, or chips dirt and irregularities to clean base surfaces.
- Removes excess cement to clean finished surface and applies grout to seal joints of tile.
- Measures and marks guidelines on surfaces or foundations, using chalklines and dividers.
- Heats and softens floor covering materials to patch cracks and form floor coverings around irregular surfaces, using blow torch.
- Applies adhesive cement onto floor or wall material to join and adhere foundation material.
- Cuts covering and foundation materials, according to blueprints and sketches, and cuts pattern around floor obstructions.