DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
47-3015 Helpers--Pipelayers, Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters
Occupational Description:Help plumbers, pipefitters, steamfitters, or pipelayers by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment. Construction laborers who do not primarily assist plumbers, pipefitters, steamfitters, or pipelayers are classified under "Construction Laborers" (47-2061). Apprentice workers are classified with the appropriate skilled construction trade occupation (47-2011 through 47-2231).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand||30,700||$12.92/hr||14.0%|
|Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers||7,370||$18.56/hr||18.0%|
|Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters||6,460||$30.86/hr||41.0%|
|Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters||180||$18.71/hr||71.5%|
|Refractory Materials Repairers, Except Brickmasons||100||$21.85/hr||29.7%|
Tasks for Helpers--Pipelayers, Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters
- Fits or assists in fitting valves, couplings, or assemblies to tanks, pumps, or systems, using hand tools.
- Requisitions tools and equipment and selects type and size of pipe.
- Assists in installing gas burner to convert furnaces from wood, coal, or oil.
- Disassembles and removes damaged or worn pipe.
- Fills pipe with sand or resin to prevent distortion, and holds pipes during bending and installation.
- Cleans shop, work area, and machines, using solvent and rags.
- Cuts or drills holes in walls to accommodate passage of pipes, using pneumatic drill.
- Mounts brackets and hangers on walls and ceilings to hold pipes.
- Immerses pipe in chemical solution to remove dirt, oil, and scale.