DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
47-4011 Construction and Building Inspectors
Occupational Description:Inspect structures using engineering skills to determine structural soundness and compliance with specifications, building codes, and other regulations. Inspections may be general in nature or may be limited to a specific area, such as electrical systems or plumbing.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||870||151||$31.13/hr||$0.88/hr||$23.31/hr||$26.85/hr||$31.48/hr||$35.49/hr||$40.05/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Appraisers and Assessors of Real Estate||1,370||$24.79/hr||N/A|
|Set and Exhibit Designers||220||$19.88/hr||N/A|
|Orthotists and Prosthetists||140||$28.41/hr||N/A|
|Fire Inspectors and Investigators||100||$32.51/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Construction and Building Inspectors
- Inspects bridges, dams, highways, building, wiring, plumbing, electrical circuits, sewer, heating system, and foundation for conformance to specifications and codes.
- Reviews and interprets plans, blueprints, specifications, and construction methods to ensure compliance to legal requirements.
- Measures dimensions and verifies level, alignment, and elevation of structures and fixtures to ensure compliance to building plans and codes.
- Approves and signs plans that meet required specifications.
- Records and notifies owners, violators, and authorities of violations of construction specifications and building codes.
- Issues violation notices, stop-work orders, and permits for construction and occupancy.
- Confers with owners, violators, and authorities to explain regulations and recommend alterations in construction or specifications.
- Reviews complaints, obtains evidence, and testifies in court that construction does not conform to code.
- Maintains daily logs, inventory, and inspection and construction records and prepares reports.
- Evaluates premises for cleanliness, including garbage disposal and lack of vermin infestation.
- Computes estimates of work completed and approves payment for contractors.