DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
47-4021 Elevator Installers and Repairers
Occupational Description:Assemble, install, repair, or maintain electric or hydraulic freight or passenger elevators, escalators, or dumbwaiters.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Engine and Other Machine Assemblers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Mechanical Door Repairers||N/A||$14.13/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Elevator Installers and Repairers
- Studies blueprints to determine layout of framework and foundations.
- Cuts prefabricated sections of framework, rails, and other components to specified dimensions.
- Completes service reports to verify conformance to prescribed standards.
- Locates malfunction in brakes, motor, switches, and signal and control systems, using test equipment.
- Inspects wiring connections, control panel hookups, door installation, and alignment and clearance of car hoistway.
- Operates elevator to determine power demand and tests power consumption to detect overload factors.
- Lubricates bearings and other parts to minimize friction.
- Adjusts safety controls, counter weights, and mechanism of doors.
- Connects electrical wiring to control panels and electric motors.
- Installs safety and control devices, cables, drives, rails, motors, and elevator cars.
- Disassembles defective unit and repairs ore replaces parts, such as locks, gears, cables, and electric wiring.